Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Google Chrome? (Read 29560 times)
Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Google Chrome?
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2010 at 12:02am
Print Post  
?ô wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 9:18pm:
sleep a night over it. you can be one of the few, securing us users when google takes over the world  Wink
OK, I'll sleep on some different alternatives to handle this.  For starters, let me know how that workaround works.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #11 - May 1st, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
some clarifications. I don't know who added the sentence that chromium should never appear anywhere. this is obviously a move by google going for total control.

and that's also the reason why I'm using chromium and NOT chrome: because with chromium I can be sure it won't phone google every minute and tell them where in the web I'm doing what.

call me paranoid but once you start thinking about google, well the more you think about it, the more you try to stay away from their products.

since you can be sure that the handeling will always be the same as with chrom, why not support it? there are more paranoids (besides me) out there then you probably think.

and with the names it's not that hard to differentiate: chrome (that is the google-browser: evil) and chromium (that is the open-source branch, that chrome is coming from: good).

not that complex at all.

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, but maybe just give chromium implementation a thought... and sleep a night over it. you can be one of the few, securing us users when google takes over the world  Wink

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #10 - May 1st, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
?ô wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 8:00pm:
That was a fast response.
Just happened to be here, in beween tasks.

As I wrote I'm not using chrome but chromium … file you are refering to, (but for chromium) can be found in the following location:
~/LibraryApplication Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks
That's why it doesn't work.

Am I right to assume that chromium has to be implemented seperately from chrome?
You care correct, although it would not take too long, assuming that their bookmarks files are the same and this file location is the only difference.  But then there's maintenance and support  Undecided

If you're not sure about chrome vs. chromium, here's the Wikipedia-article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29
In which I find this tidbit:

'Chromium' is the name of the project, not the product, and should never appear in code in variable names, API names etc. Use 'chrome' instead.

So – eek – this means that we would have to support separately "Chrome" and "chrome".  And explain the difference to users.  I'm getting a headache already.  What's wrong with Google Chrome? Cool

If you really want to stick with chromium/Chrome (eek), you could manually add a Client in the Settings ▸ Clients tab and then in the popup click "Choose File (Advanced)", select file format "Chrome", and navigate to ~/LibraryApplication Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks.  Warning: You will probably be the first user in the world to have tried this.  Also, some features such as Agent Triggers would not be supported.  At least we'll find out if there are any file format differences between "Chrome" and "chrome".   Grin

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #9 - May 1st, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Hey Jerry,

"woot". That was a fast response.

As I wrote I'm not using chrom but chromium (which is the open source spin off, from which chrome is actually built).

The specific file you are refering to, (but for chromium) can be found in the following location:
~/LibraryApplication Support/Chromium/Default/Bookmarks
Right below there's also a Bookmarks.bak file.

Am I right to assume that chromium has to be implemented seperately from chrome?

If you're not sure about chrome vs. chromium, here's the Wikipedia-article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29

Cheers,
FE

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #8 - May 1st, 2010 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
This would happen if you don't have a Chrome bookmarks file.  BookMacster only looks for bookmarks in the "Default" Google Chrome profile since, as far as we could tell, multiple profiles are not supported in the current version of Google Chrome for Mac.  I see that you have a non-default Firefox account (JonDoFox).  I wonder if you figured out how to do this in Chrome?

The file BookMacster looks for is ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Bookmarks

Do you have one of those?  Have you ever used Chrome?

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #7 - May 1st, 2010 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Jerry Krinock wrote on May 1st, 2010 at 12:38am:
Yes, BookMacster has supported Google Chrome for several weeks.  Update and create a New Bookmarkshelf with the new improved wizard, or look for Chrome in the popup in the Clients tab.

Ok, I tried, but when I setup a new Bookmarkshelf, Chrome does not appear as a selection for my export clients. What I actually want to do is use Firefox as my main Bookmark-Client and sync that via Bookmacster to Safari + Chromium + Firefox (Jondofox).

Am I missing somthing?

Browser_Export.jpg ( 37 KB | 391 Downloads )
Browser_Export.jpg

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2010 at 12:38am
Print Post  
?ô wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:51pm:
I don't use Google Bookmarks. Are you all that keen to have google knowing excately which sites you visit and have bookmarked?
Neither do I.  But not because I'm worried about Google.  I simply have no need to suffer through a web app when I'm sitting at one computer all the time.  Several times a year I find myself in a situation where maybe I wished I had a cell phone.  Mobile Ain't Me!
?ô wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:51pm:
Besides that privacy issues, what I would like to do is sync my firefox bookmarks with chromium-browser on mac.  Is that already possible?
Yes, BookMacster has supported Google Chrome for several weeks.  Update and create a New Bookmarkshelf with the new improved wizard, or look for Chrome in the popup in the Clients tab.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

FatalError
Ex Member
Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

I don't use Google Bookmarks. Are you all that keen to have google knowing excately which sites you visit and have bookmarked?

Besides that privacy issues, what I would like to do is sync my firefox bookmarks with chromium-browser on mac.

Is that already possible?  Huh

Cheers,
FE

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 5:05am
Print Post  
BookMacster 0.9.23, including support for Google's Chrome web browser, is now available.  To get it, in BookMacster's menu, click BookMacster ▸ Check for Update.

Regarding Google's Chrome being able to sync by itself with Google Bookmarks, the answer no.  The so-called bookmarks syncing available in Google Chrome syncs your Google Chrome bookmarks to different Macs via a Google Account.  It has no connection to Google Bookmarks.

If you want to sync Google's Chrome with Google Bookmarks, use  BookMacster 0.9.23+  Smiley

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 3:12am
Print Post  
scott wrote on Jan 30th, 2010 at 1:28am:
I was shocked too that Google Bookmarks wasn't integrated into Chrome... so much for "cloud computing"!!! Does it sync on an Android phone? So just your desktop bookmarks are isolated?  Maybe this is something they will add (I wonder if it is in the Windows version of Chrome?)
Someone told me yesterday that the alpha/beta/whatever version of Google Chrome, called 'chromium', does do Google Bookmarks sync.  I tried to build it yesterday but the build failed.  Not surprising, with a gigabyte of source code!  Will try to "check out" again.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

scott
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 1:28am
Print Post  
I was shocked too that Google Bookmarks wasn't integrated into Chrome... so much for "cloud computing"!!! Does it sync on an Android phone? So just your desktop bookmarks are isolated?  Maybe this is something they will add (I wonder if it is in the Windows version of Chrome?)

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Elio Grieco wrote on Dec 14th, 2009 at 6:05pm:
Are there any plans to integrate with the newly released Google Chrome for Mac?

http://www.google.com/chrome

Yes, I've downloaded it but not done any work on it yet.  I'm still trying to get over my amazement that Google Chrome has absolutely no integration with Google Bookmarks.  A couple years ago Google added a box to the Google Bookmarks page suggesting that users should try out Google Notebook instead of Google Bookmarks.  Then last year they announced that, whoops, Google Notebook would be discontinued.  So now we're back with Google Bookmarks, although they're still not promoting it.  And then Google Chrome comes out with the old-fashioned on-disk bookmarks storage, using yet another proprietary text file format.  You'd think that a 21st-century company like Google would have went for something "in the cloud", or at least they would have used a standard file format such as XBEL.

Anyhow, their file format will not be difficult to reverse engineer.  We just need to get done with BookMacster Beta and then I need to get over my bewilderment.  If anyone with a view on what is going on over there at the Googleplex in Mountain View wants to drop me a line, either privately or publicly, that would be great.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Elio Grieco
Google Chrome?
Dec 14th, 2009 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Are there any plans to integrate with the newly released Google Chrome for Mac?

http://www.google.com/chrome

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint